Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Miso tired of testing (already.)

Miso Hungry for a break!
Living with diabetes is like any long-term relationship. There are ups and downs. Times when there is no shortage of motivation, and times when staying committed is a chore. I’m only three months in to this lifelong partnership with the big D, and already I’m longing for a little variation. It's true what they say. You don't get a day off with this disease. No vacation. No Christmas break. No weekends. Just damn. 
My doctor says I need to lose a little more weight. I am eating healthy, walking five miles a day, and I'm still gaining weight. Here's the conundrum. Insulin is a growth hormone. Nice, huh? It’s a vicious cycle. Now that I have you all perked up and smiling, let’s get on to the food.
Luckily, there are go-to recipes that I never seem to tire of. This week, I’m sharing just one of those faves. I make this at least once a week. In my last post, I mentioned my love of all things Asian. Well, this is an adaptation of a soup that is served at any good Japanese restaurant. The traditional soup is made with wakame (seaweed). I substitute kale, which gives the soup more body and bite. I like to use all types of mushrooms. So, feel free to mix it up and go crazy with them. I promise this soup is comfort in a bowl. Enjoy. 


Miso Soup with Kale & Mushrooms
2 bunches organic kale, washed, stems removed and roughly chopped
1 1/2 lb. mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thick
1 large yellow onion, julienne
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 lb. extra-firm tofu, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
2 1/2 qt. water
1 1/2 c. red miso paste
In a large soup pot, on medium-high heat, saute the onions in olive oil until translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook until firm. Throw in your chopped kale and saute until wilted. In goes the tofu. Cover with water and simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the miso paste, stirring until it is dissolved (never boil miso or you will lose all the good bacteria). The soup is ready to be served once the miso paste is incorporated. Boom! You’re ready to eat.
Until next time, have a happy GD day!

No comments:

Post a Comment