Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Ratatouille (No, not the movie.)

My first job at the age of 14 was in a fine dining restaurant washing dishes and prepping during down time. The prep work wasn't very exciting. Usually it was peeling and de-veining shrimp or hulling strawberries for Sunday brunch. The job wasn't exactly what I would call fulfilling but it exposed me to the fast paced grueling nature of kitchen work and I liked it. I was hooked. I spent my high school years at various kitchens throughout the area and working my way up through the ranks of the kitchen brigade as well as an occasional busboy stint in the front of the house. It wasn't until after high school when I started working for an award winning Florida panhandle restaurant that I truly fell in love with cooking. It was there that I decided to attend culinary school and make a professional career out my new infatuation. This was a true professional kitchen. I started over at the bottom once again as a prep cook. The prep work was different though. I was learning. The chef taught me how to filet fish, make stocks, clean and portion tenderloin steak and make ratatouille. I remember the first time I made this dish. The chef standing over me explaining every step. Explaining how important it was to properly layer the ingredients in the pot so the flavors would meld. It was the "first date" of my life long love of French cuisine. Over the years I have probably made this dish no less than 100 times. I have made slight changes and variations along the way while still holding true to the slow cooking and stewing techniques taught to me many moons ago. Long before I didn't have to worry about what I put in my body. I guess I am fortunate to have an affinity for all foods. I would be screwed if I had the palate of most kids these days. Chicken nuggets, chips and boxed mac'-n-cheese aren't quite conducive to a healthy low carb "diabetic" diet. But, that diet is perfect if you follow the recommendations of our federal governments food pyramid. In fact, it is standard fare at the local schools. Nice to know our kids are getting a solid culinary education huh? Anyway, in this version I added fresh fennel. I love fennel and it's delicate licorice aroma and flavor. As always, buy organic when you can.
 This recipe makes a large amount and, due to the variety of vegetables, it is hard to scale back. With that said, it will last for several days in the refrigerator. If that isn't good enough then give some to your neighbor. They will love you for it. In my opinion, the gift of food is one of the greatest ever. I hope you (and your neighbors) enjoy it as much as I (and my neighbors) do.
With that said, here's my GD recipe of the week. 





Ingredients:
1 large Eggplant, sliced in 1/2" thick rounds
2 medium Yellow squash, sliced lengthwise in 1/2" slices
2 medium Zucchini squash, sliced lengthwise in 1/2" slices
2 Red bell pepper
2 Yellow or vidalia onion, sliced into 1/2" rounds
2 medium heads Fennel, sliced in half
3 medium Fresh tomato, sliced in 1/2" slices  (If you can't get good quality then use a good organic canned diced tomato 2 10 oz. cans)
5 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 bunch Basil, sliced in thin strips (chiffonade)
1/2 cup good Olive oil. Extra virgin isn't necessary
salt and pepper

Brush the red peppers with olive oil and roast on a hot grill until the skin blisters and turns black. Remove from the grill and place in a paper bag or Ziploc and let rest for 15-20 minutes. When cool peel the black skin off and discard. Slice the pepper in half and remove the stem and seeds. Dice the pepper in 1/2" pieces.
Place the eggplant on a sheet pan and sprinkle both sides with salt and let sit for 5 minutes. This will draw the bitter water out. Pat the pieces dry with a paper towel. Brush the eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the other vegetables, except for the tomato, on a sheet pan and brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place the vegetables on a medium grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. remove the veggies and allow to cool. Once the veggies are cool enough to handle cut them into 1/2" pieces and keep them separate. Heat a large pot on the stove and add the remaining olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the garlic is soft. Remove the onion garlic mixture and turn the heat down. layer the next ingredients starting with the eggplant, then zucchini, yellow squash, fennel, red bell pepper and lastly the onion garlic mix. Place the sliced tomatoes on top of the stew and slowly simmer covered for 45 minutes. Season the dish with fresh basil. Adjust the seasoning with salt and fresh ground black pepper. 
I like to eat this all by itself but it also makes a great side to a nice grilled tuna steak! I hope you like it.

Until next week, have a happy GD day. Bon apetite!




1 comment:

  1. Sounds great. I like the addition of the fennel. Will have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete