Thursday, October 22, 2015

Wrap it up...(I'll take it.)

It took awhile after my diagnosis to venture out to a restaurant. I was nervous about what hidden dangers awaited me. I was still learning about my disease and overly cautious about what I was putting in my body. At the time I was still in a 100% vegan mode which made it even harder if not impossible for my area of town. When I mustered up the courage to turn the cooking over to someone else I decided on Chipotle. I had not tried this chain prior and heard good things about it. I knew that they had vegan options and it was close to my friends office. I ordered the sofritos bowl without the rice. It was good. The only downside was I left still hungry. I was taking a shitload of insulin back then and the side effect was it made me very hungry. ALL THE TIME! So I learned a new trick. I learned yet another way to make tofu actually taste good. The wheels started turning. How can I make the sofritos at home? So I came up with my own version with some added fun. Sofrito taco wraps with seared veggies, avocado and pico. This takes some preparation but is so worth it and you feel good knowing that what is going into your body is good for you. The GD recipe is listed below.


Sofritos:
1 lb. extra firm organic tofu
1 small yellow onion, julienne
1 can chipotle chili's in adobo (this can be found in the Latin section of any grocery store)
2 tsp. olive oil

Saute the onions in medium size pot until they are translucent. Shred the tofu by ripping it into small pieces and add it to the onions. Puree the chili's in a blender or food processor and add the tofu onion mix. Let this simmer for about 20 minutes.

Pico de Gallo:

2 medium tomatoes diced small
1 yellow onion diced small
3 jalapeno peppers seeds and ribs removed, diced small
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
2 limes juiced
salt to taste

Mix all ingredients and season with salt to taste.

Black beans: ( I have no problem using canned beans as long as they are good quality. It saves a lot of time.)

1 can organic black beans drained and rinsed
1 yellow onion diced small
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tsp. fresh chopped oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. mexican chili powder
1 cup vegetable stock
2 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the other ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.

Seared veggies:
Red bell pepper, julienne
Yellow bell pepper, julienne
Button mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp. olive oil

Sear the veggies in a very hot skillet for a little less than a minute. Add the garlic and stir quickly then remove from the heat. This will cook the veggies but keep them crunchy.

To assemble:
1 head of butter lettuce.
1 avocado, slightly firm
Core the lettuce and peel the leaves being careful to keep them intact. Place a lettuce leaf on a plate and top with a couple spoonfuls of black beans. Add a couple spoonfuls of sofrito. Top that with some of the veggie mix. Garnish with pico and avocado slices. Eat quickly before the lettuce wilts.

I could eat this meal once or twice a week. The leftovers make great salad ingredients. I hope you enjoy and as always, have a happy GD day!


No comments:

Post a Comment